History of Third CRC
In 1913, Zeeland did not have a Christian Reformed church with services in the English language. Neither First Christian Reformed church nor North Street Christian Reformed Church was interested in having their services in English. First Christian Reformed church canvassed their members to determine how many families were willing to form a new church and gave $2000 to assist in getting a place to worship.
Permission from Classis Zeeland was not immediately given, but the new members persisted and on February 11, 1914 permission was granted. The new church was organized on March 12, 1914, with 35 families and 12 individuals.
The First Consistory of Third Christian Reformed Church
Standing: J. Shoemaker, P. Vanden Bosch, J. Van Gelderen, J. Staal
Seated: J. Elenbaas, W. Bareman, Rev. Trap, J. Kassen, S. Vander Meer
A building on Centennial Street, owned by the Second Reformed Church, was purchased and was used by the church for services until 1923.
Lots were purchased at the corner of State Street and Central Avenue in 1916 and a new church building was completed on May 23, 1923.
Third CRC as it exists in 2019